Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Earth Path

The final path is the Earth path. This path has the most "work" in my mind.

I have to read nine books on local nature.
Awen - Elemental Life
  • Soil & Rock
  • Water
  • Air
Abred - Incarnate Life
  • Plant Life
  • Animal Life
  • Human Life
Gwynfydd - Spiritual Life
  • Nature Science
  • Nature Mythology
  • Nature Spirituality
I must also combine these areas to a topic that is local to me. For instance... human life - I am reading about the Oneida Indians. I feel that Gwynfydd will be the hardest to find topics on.

I must also plant a tree and tend to it for one year. I have thought about having a bonsai tree in my house and tending to it. I would have to find where to purchase one though. I would hate to have one shipped to me. I might have to go look at the local nurseries and see what is out there.

I have to incorporate three things into my life that will help nature. I have chosen to use my cloth bags as much as I can (remember), unplug my cell phone charger when not in use to cut back on wasted electricity, and turn off the water when I brush my teeth to conserve water.
As a personal aside, I have decided (with my husband) to purchase only Energy Star products when I have the opportunity (equipment needs replaced, Energy Star is available, etc). We have purchased a Blue-Ray DVD player and a flat screen HD TV, both of which are Energy Star compliant.

And once a week I need to spend 15 minutes in nature observing. Part of my time is suppose to be spent in stillness and part should be spent in focus.

I have begun my readings and my reduction of my personal "footprint" on the Earth. I have not begun my tree tending or my time in nature. I must begin those as soon as possible, especially with my impending initiation ceremony.

I have to remind myself that while you must take at least one year and one day to complete the candidate level, many people take longer. It is better to take longer and ensure one has learned it completely than to rush through it all to make the early target and not really "LEARN" what is to be learned through this journey.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you have to do exactly one in each category. It is suggested that you aim for that, but it is also suggested that you can tailor it to your own interests. My interest is in trees, so that's how my reading list will be skewed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought my bonsai tree yesterday from a local garden store. I am hoping I don't kill it. I just ordered a bonsai book on inter-library loan from the library. Maybe I should have read the book before I bought the tree, but hopefully the tree will survive long enough for me to read the book.

    ReplyDelete